Monday, January 2, 2012

A Library Surrounded by Collaboration but Without a Librarian

A little over a month ago the librarian left, maybe lack of funding, lack of support, maybe Qatar just became too much . Either way the library is now a vacant space lacking true direction.
i find this frustrating to watch. It was frustrating even when there was a librarian. I have spent the last 18 months reading and learning about the role of the teacher librarian and every time I read a new article I have to question why aren't I seeing it happen in my school and is it happening anywhere.
The school is awash with collaboration we have half a day each week dedicated to collaboration, we have support for collaboration from the powers to be but there is no true collaboration with the library and I have to question why. Why is there no planning across school for the teaching of information literacy? or Why haven't I seen the planning for the teaching of information literacy? What information processing model is being used if any?
With a school so well poised for collaboration and integration why is it not happening? and when are people going to realise the potential for it to be happening?
I suppose all I can hope for is that the replacement librarian is a true leader and innovator with a whole lot of motivation to make the library and the library program all that it can be.

No comments: