Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Coming Full Circle

So here I am embarking on ETL 401 for the second time. It is interesting how despite failing the course you can still develop an understanding of the role of the TL and interestingly find yourself advocating and fighting for a change in opinion.
Recently the TL left my school, the primary reason (from my observations and interpretations) being that there was no support from the administration. She had a vision for the library but at every turn that vision was squashed due to lack of money, lack of staff and a general who cares attitude from administration. So now it is mid-year and their is no TL and there doesn't seem to be any hope of one appearing in the future. Now listening to staffroom gossip there were many who questioned why she left, I heard comments such as '..but she doesn't do anything..', '...I wouldn't mind her job, no kids and sitting on the computer all day...' and my favourite '...but she had two assistants..'. All these comments were in effect true but not because there was not the desire to implement programmes and sadly because a lot of the TL goes unseen. So she was sitting on the computer - most likely she was chasing up orders, liasing with TL in other schools, researching new books for units, or working on policies, the librarywiki or a pathfinder for a new unit. As for no kids I'm guessing they just went in at the wrong time. As for the two assistants yes it is easier with assistants but no when they are useless (the prime example being labelling the selves so that the labels hung out in front of the books so that everytime a child took a book of the shelf they took the label too!).
So it makes me angry that the role of the TL is percieved as lazy and that the administration team is doing nothing to allow the library to function effectively. How can a library function when there is one TL split over two locations serving a Preschool-12 student demongraphic of 800 students??
All I can hope for is that when and if I pass this course and the Masters that the school I end up at values the role of the TL and what they have the potential to do with the appropriate support.

No comments: